Please note: Although we still have some operations occurring, given the hurdles presented by the pandemic it’s unlikely we’ll make additional hires this summer. Of course, we always appreciate hearing from qualified educators who enjoy this line of work.
- Summer Camp Leader is a great opportunity for someone exploring the field of outdoor education, or for an experienced educator looking to expand. This position is in the field leading groups of elementary to middle school aged children as they explore the natural history of Juneau. This is part of Discovery Southeast’s hands-on outdoor education summer camp, Outdoor Explorers. Educators will work week-long day camps for most of the summer. The educator will co-lead a group of up to 13 children, ages 6-12, each week, engaging them with Juneau’s natural areas through outdoor exploration, natural history, science based education, and environmental education games and activities. Leaders work directly with a co-educator and other program staff in the field, as well as partner with other local youth program providers for activities. Before and throughout the summer, leaders will receive training and experience in inquiry based, hands-on field leadership and Southeast Alaska natural history. The leader is also responsible for minimal coordination and administration of the summer program and reports to the Executive or Program Director. The position is full time, with 40 hours a week starting at a rate of $15-16 per hour DOE. Educators will work 7-9 weeks of camp, with 1 week of training prior to camp, and a mid summer training, additional weeks off may be negotiable. More information and how to apply is here, and you can direct questions to email@example.com.
- Our Mendenhall Glacier Bookstore has opportunities ranging from just starting a first job to managerial positions in retail. We have a great work environment, in a gorgeous location, with wonderful coworkers. This is probably Alaska’s most visited location, so you’ll be gaining job experience in a fast-paced and creative environment, where we value the importance of learning. Your work here supports Discovery Southeast’s nature and science programs for local kids, while providing visitors with mostly-local materials from some of Juneau’s best authors and artists. We are hiring three retail positions at the Mendenhall Glacier for the 2020 visitor season and summer.
- Assistant Manager: We’re looking for someone who brings retail and leadership experience and can help train and supervise staff, manage inventory, and participate in merchandising. This position can start late Winter or early Spring. The hourly pay is roughly $15-20 based on experience.
- Retail Clerks: This is a great position if you’re ready to engage professionally and enthusiastically with people, can be detail-oriented when handling a transaction, and keep cool when there’s a lot going on. Retail clerks ring up transactions in the store, answer visitors’ questions, keep inventory prepared and stocked, and work as part of a team throughout the summer. Hourly pay starts at $11.50. This position can often accommodate the schedule of people who are only out of school for the summer.
- Shift leads: For those who’ve already had retail experience and can help mentor newer staff, spot what needs to be done on the retail floor, and lead tasks with inventory or merchandising, we offer this advanced retail position. Hourly pay ranges from $14-16.
To apply for the bookstore positions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org your resume AND a letter or note explaining what position you’re interested in and why. Please also state what months you’d like work, how many hours a week, and whether you have any particular schedule or vacation constraints. Feel free to email that same address with any questions. We look forward to hearing from you.