This is a lesson we created for 5th graders in the Juneau School District, based on the field trip they would have had for SeaWeek. You don’t need to be a 5th grader to try this one at home!
This activity is well suited for kids ages 10-14.
- Paper and Marker
- Left over tea or coffee
- Snickers bar or a granola bar if you have one!
This Activity is broken up into 3 parts, and can be done over the course of a few days.
The younger your child is, the more guidance they may require, remember to encourage your child to do the work and the thinking! Asking probing questions will help with their learning:
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Hmmm, can you tell me what you’re thinking, so far?
- What do you think will happen? / Why do you think happened?
- If/when you do it again, what would you do differently?
Follow Up Activity: Can you build a 3-D model of a glacier using materials found outside? Give it a try and send us a photo of your work to email@example.com! Let’s Get outside!