This is a lesson we created for 3rd graders in the Juneau School District, based on the field trip they would have had for SeaWeek. You don’t need to be a 3rd grader to try this one at home!
This activity is well suited for kids ages 7-12.
- Paper and Pencil
- Your Creativity!
- Access to an outdoor space and a bucket of water, or a pre-existing stream.
This Activity is broken up into 3 parts, and could be done all in one day or spread out.
The younger your child is, the more guidance they may require, remember to encourage your child to do the work and the thinking! Asking probing questions will help with their learning:
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Hmmm, can you tell me what you’re thinking, so far?
- What do you think will happen? / Why do you think happened?
- If/when you do it again, what would you do differently?
Send us a photo of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org! Let’s Get outside!